Usually we go home to Canada in July which is just when my lemon tree in Australia is ripening. I end up picking them all before I leave and handing them out to friends. But things being what they are this year, we didn’t go anywhere. So trying to find the silver lining (if you really want to see it!), I have been baking lots of lemon recipes. My family loves muffins, so lemon muffins was an obvious choice. So without any further ado, here is my healthy lemon chia muffin recipe!
Lemon Chia Muffins
4 Tbsp chia seeds
1 cup lemon juice (juice from 3-4 lemons)
2.5 cups self-raising flour (whole wheat preferably)
¼ tsp salt
½ cup maple syrup (the real stuff from Canada)
1/3 cup coconut oil melted
1 cup milk (I used macadamia, but you could also you almond or dairy)
½ tsp almond extract
- Mix the chia seeds with the lemon juice in a small bowl and set aside for 10 minutes
- Preheat oven to 180C
- In another large bowl, mix the salt and the flour.
- Add the maple, coconut oil, milk and almond extract to the flour and mix well.
- Add in the lemon and chia mix.
- Divide out into muffin trays.
Depending on how big you make your muffins, cook between 12-16 minutes.
Add blueberries, raspberries or other fruit to mix it up.